10.24
My first weekend traveling proved to be exciting, adventurous, and scary. 13 of us went to Bamenda in the Northwest province via “bush taxi.” It was only 2 hours away but the scenery was different and people spoke English (it’s an Anglophone province). We ate at a restaurant that served burgers, bought Snickers (!!) and actually understood the comments that the street vendors made. We went to see the waterfalls outside of town and ended up hiking bushwhacking through the jungle-like conditions—risking chiggers and ticks—to get there. It was worth it, the waterfall was really pretty and the bushwhacking was entertaining (partially because all of us said, at least once, “hey guys, we’re in Africa.”) After that we rook hot showers, watched CNN and drank real coffee—it couldn’t have gotten much better! That night we encountered our first attempted robbery in the city as one of our friends was pulled into the street, via her purse. Thankfully she was fine and her bag reminded tightly attached to her body. It was enough for us to return to the hotel and watch Son In Law on TV. Despite that event (the attempted robbery, not Son in Law…although it is much worse a movie than I remembered) Bamenda was my favorite city thus far. When we returned to Bandjoun it was great to feel like we were home. I spent Sunday hand scrubbing the red dirt stains out of my clothes and sneaking to my room to enjoy “diet cola” (not quite diet coke, but I’ll take what I can get) and the wheat bread I have stashed in my foot locker! My host brothers think I’m insane and laugh at me when I am soaking wet, covered with soap suds and drop my clean yet still soaking clothes directly in the mud. This happens quite often since I’m almost completely exhausted after washing!
Training is the same. I am trying to stay positive and look forward to Post (52 days). I realized the other day, while sitting in the traditional kitchen with my sister, that my French is actually improving—a little bit. I still can’t hold a conversation for more than 5 minutes, carry my dictionary everywhere but I successfully bargained for the first time this weekend in French! The water isn’t running tonight which means that I’ll be showering with well water (which as mentioned last time, is always fun). I do have nicely washed and ironed sheets (ironed on account of the mango flies which like to hide in drying clothes and then bury themselves in your skin…yum). On that note, I love and miss you all very much. I am thinking of you often!! Keep the emails coming and if anyone is sending anything this way…which I wouldn’t necessarily discourage J… we were advised to have you write in red ink, it detours tampering. FYI.
I’ll update soon! Love!!
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment