1.18.06
Yesterday I went to Nkambe (a town an hour North of Ndu) for a meeting/ceremony with the Senior Divisional Officer—it was his New Years address. We went to represent the NGO (and other NGOs in the area, although there were only two others there). It was also a chance for me to meet him, since I’m supposed to meet all the administration figures in the area. The ceremony was pretty cool, lots of important people. A representative from each “group” would give a little speech talking about needs/wants/recommendations for the year, say ‘happy new year,’ and then the whole group would pose for a picture while nice classical music played over the speakers…it was quite pleasant! However, some speeches lasted a little longer than I would have hoped but they were important, talking about countering corruption, the HIPC initiative (Highly Indebted Poor Countries), the unity of Cameroon and such things. I was able to meet mayors, deputies, divisional leaders, etc. The day was long and dusty, the road there is not good, but good to see and I enjoyed meeting all the important people!
The African Nations Cup starts on the 20th…every one is psyched! Hopefully Cameroon will do better than the last important game they played (losing in October and not qualifying for the World Cup)! It’ll be an experience, these people live for futball! We are giving a peer-educator training next week. It will be good experience for me—I’m leading a few sessions of HIV/AIDS and peer education—plus it will be good to see what information is already out there.
Hopefully soon I can start going to schools and working there as well…I’d still like to start a girls group but since there are many schools in town it is hard to decide which one to go to…maybe I’ll start two! I am surprised at the amount of work I do have, it’s nice though. I am glad to be able to go somewhere each day, even if some days I just read or type to you all, I do have planning to do and preparation for a few trainings. I like having work, it keeps me busy and when I look at my calendar I am shocked…it’s already January 18th!! The time is flying by. I am excited for the Superbowl in a few weeks (crossing my fingers that the Broncos will be in it!!) and can’t wait for another weekend with my friends to watch! We hope to find a place with a satellite showing it.
Miscellaneous:
-Usher, Celine Dion, Brian Adams…playing ALL the time. There are moments when I’m feeling very “African”—walking down the dirt road with goats, children and women carrying massive baskets on their heads, traditional clothes everywhere…and then I hear Celine Dion blasting…it’s like a clash of cultures.
-I am buying a machete this week!
-I used almost all my water store on Saturday washing my floors and doing laudry. I pounded so hard that I was sure I’d developed carpel tunnel syndrome in my writs…they’re fine though.
-When I was running the other day I had three little kids run along side me for a little while (maybe 25 yards) laughing the whole time. I gave them high-fives and told them to run with me next time. I have no doubt that they’ll be waiting when I go back.
-My neighbor who has satellite tv (with an amazing number of channels!) LOVES WWE (apparently the new version of WWF…lost of drama, body slams, and oiled up, half dressed bodies). They cheer and have favorites. I’ve been lucky enough to watch it with them a few times, they don’t understand why I don’t know all the wrestlers by name…I haven’t tried to explain!
-More next time :)
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment