Saturday, February 18, 2006

02.13.06
Things have been interesting recently. I thought that getting settled meant getting boring, (sort of uneventful) but it seems that each week something happens that makes me realize that there are always surprises. I mean Ndu is the same…dust, dust, pigs, goats, screaming children who run down the path by my house pounding their water jugs on the ground on their way to get water at 5:45 AM, taxi drivers cutting pieces of the tire off when there’s a problem—then continuing, rationing water because it only runs 2 days a week, the complete happiness of finding a new short wave station, and did I mention the dust? Yes, there are things like bird flu and road bandits that scare me a little…but for the most part, it’s the same old!

Today I saw a young boy, an orphan, at the clinic who is suffering from epilepsy. His guardians don’t really care for him…he hadn’t eaten at all that day, is responsible for getting medication for his illness (which luckily he can get from the SOF clinic), doesn’t go to school, and just has old, torn clothes. It was so sad for me to look at him and wish I could do something—wondering what it would be like …and then realizing how common it is here and how I am just beginning to see situations like his. That’s a big problem for me here, realizing that many of the problems around are just too big. They stem from much bigger problems—ones that are far beyond my, or any one person’s, reach. It’s hard to look at simple acts that I can do and hope that it will help a little, knowing that the larger problem will remain far after I am gone…does that make sense? However, there is other work that is quickly rewarding, my hopes of bigger projects seem hopeful too. So work is keeping me busy—both literally and generally emotionally challenging.

I bought a tree. Woody. He’s being cut down this week and I’ll let him dry in the yard until about March 15th (the day rainy season officially starts) when I’ll store him in my traditional kitchen (which has still yet to be opened) so I’ll be fully prepared for rainy season. Apparently it’s “so cold” (this is said by all Nduians with a shivering action and a sacred look on their faces, even after I explain to them that in my home there is “this much snow”—which I say holding my hand above my head). I’m excited about the tree. I feel like I am really “in” now that I am purchasing my own lumber.

I also got a cat…well not yet, she/he still lives with my landlord, but will take official ownership next week. I am a little nervous about the fleas, ringworm, and other strange diseases that animals pick up frolicking around in latrine components, or with pigs. But I will completely inquire of the vet in Bamenda and wash the cat regularly, which should be worthy of a few blog entries. Anything to avoid another rotting mouse in my bed! Ew.

I also got a wasp sting (sucked…whole arm went numb and itched for days!), shattered a bottle of wine after tripping on the stairs in Kumbo, and have taken up a new obsession with frying…I don’t eat most of it, but really like to fry things—could be the fearful rush of splattering oil, I’m not sure (I hope you’re all taking note of the sarcastic undertones to this…otherwise I sound a little crazy). Youth Day was Saturday and was…interesting. The kids prepared for weeks to march down the main street (slightly resembling communist soldiers in training…straight arms, high knees, matching uniforms and black shoes…you get the idea!). There was traditional dance, singing, some races, and absolute craziness. I swear everyone in town was lined up along the street. I sat under the grand stand where I met the other white woman in town…a Baptist missionary. It was great…I was sure I was the only one here. I may start walking with her and another woman (yep, that makes three white people in town…aside from Matt…but he’s just the Blanc Savage, that’s different) …I have all of a sudden become middle aged, but can’t wait—too bad I can’t wear spandex, that may be frowned upon! (PS, after spending the other afternoon with them, they’re awesome. It’s a mini-America up there…a great refuge!)

That’s all for now. Trying to keep track of more fun/crazy/African experiences. I’ll be updating soon!

No comments: